Sunday, May 15, 2011

Widmer Brothers -- Barrel Aged Brrrbon

Brrbon is ale aged in Kentucky bourbon barrels for four months.  When an individual bottle of beer comes in a box you know it must be serious. 




This is another brew thanks to Kiki.  Its been in the fridge for months waiting to be reviewed.   Warren beat me to this one. 



The Widmer brothers started brewing in 1979 and officially started business in 1984.  Apparently quitting their day jobs worked well for Kurt and Rob Widmer because now their brewery is the 7th largest in the nation.  Today the company is publicly traded and Anheuser-Busch owns a large share.  Widmer famously made Hefeweizen popular in the U.S.  Anyway, Widmer makes some great beer and now through Brothers' Reserve Widmer has taken the winter seasonal Brrr and mixed things up by aging it in bourbon barrels.  This particular one is limited release #3 for Fall 2010.  Its 9.4% ABV, copper color, and has very light carbonation.  To me it tastes hoppy, malty, and a little sweet with some toffee flavors.  Its like a barley wine but with a slight whiskey smell and taste.  This beer has lots of body and just enough linger without ruining your taste buds.  As Warren mentioned, the downside to this beer is the price.  $12 for 22 ounces is not cheap (luckily for me Kiki surprises me with presents like this), but its a good beer to take your time drinking and enjoy.

2 comments:

  1. I highly enjoy that beer. The bottles are indeed expensive, but I went to a Widmer brewers night here in Tacoma last December (the beauty of living less than two hours from both Seattle and Portland!) and I could drink a pint for $4.00. That was dangerous, let me tell you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeedy. The only other bourbon barrel aged beer I've had was that Green Flash Silva Stout James I shared at Super Bowl (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/2743/62253).These two just kick my ass, in a good way, when it comes to cold weather seasonals. Glad you got into this year's crop. Packs quite a punch. Thanks for the hat-tip Jameson :)

    ReplyDelete