Sunday, February 27, 2011

The Bruery Orchard White

Orchard White was my first glimpse into beer from The Bruery.  I picked it up at the new "The Bruery Provisions" at the circle in Orange and we had it for Valentines Day.


(Note the new glass Kiki got me for Valentine's Day, its an upside down bottle)

Patrick Rue started brewing while he was in law school while going to the same law school I'm wrapping up at.  I can appreciate the escapism of brewing while in law school because I started brewing myself just over a year ago in 2L year.  After Patrick decided he didn't want to be a lawyer he went full power with brewing and launched The Bruery in Placentia, CA.  They specialize in Belgian style beers and specialty beers.

Orchard White is a truly unique beer.  Apparently I'm behind the trend curve because this beer first caught public notice in 2008, but I can tell you its still in production because its a great beer.  Most notably is that it has flavors of citrus and lavender.  Lavender?  Really.  It smells like lavender and it tastes like lavender.  This spicy beer at 5.7% ABV was fun to drink because its so different.  In addition to being spicy (think baking spices not hot spices) it had a mixture of floral notes and a balance of sweetness.  This beer was $8 for a 750 ml bottle.

1 comment: